Monday, September 22, 2008

Liquid Amber Tree Brings Autumn to Los Angeles

I went in search of some leaves changing color for my LA blog just to prove we have Fall in Los Angeles. 

I knew I could rely on our Liquid Amber trees for a little fall color on this first day of Autumn. 

In LA Liquidambar styraciflua are used as street trees and a whole street lined with flaming red trees is very dramatic.

These trees are native to North America.  Their Latin name is Liquidambar styraciflua and they are also called American Sweetgum or Redgum.  

Kids know these trees by the little balls full of stickers they produce.  We called them Sticker Balls, but others may call them Monkey Balls.  When they dry they are pretty sharp.  They also are prized by crafters for their unique form, but they won't be dry for a few more months.

Throw a few colored leaves around the table tonight or make a little bouquet for your desk to get into the Fall mood.

 

6 comments:

John said...

I never really thought about fall in California. I would love to visit your state. I love the information on the site. I now just need time to read and enjoy.

Cindy said...

Such a great photo! Liquid Amber is one of my favorites for fall color too.

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Hanneles topiary said...

I lova autumn.

Lapplisor said...

Thanks for the info. to the Amber… I its loves autumn leaves.
In Germany I have a very beautiful copy before my house…
thanks for your step with me in the Blog.
♥☼♥ Barbara ♥☼♥

Laura Z said...

I am honored to discover I have such faraway followers of my little patch of dirt here in The Valley.

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

Laura Z
Los Angeles, CA
tGP

bugsii said...

Can anyone tell me why some Liquid Ambers have more color than others? I have one in my front yard which I planted five years ago. It appears very healthy, but is dissapointing when it comes to fall color. The pair in the greenbelt behind my house are spectacular. Is there anything I can give the tree to coax it into a better fall show? Mark in Temecula CA

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin